Monday, April 27, 2009

William John Melody

The following was sent from John Goodman, a former pupil of William John Melody.

William John Melody was the headmaster of Karori School from around 1948 or so until 1953 I believe. He replaced the former retiring headmaster, Mr Henderson.

I was a pupil there, and have very fond memories of him.

He introduced copper-plate writing, and I admit that I excelled at it.

He had played tennis at Wimbledon, and very much encouraged the sport at Karori School. He would sometimes take some of us out of class for a game. One of my classmates, Richard Hawkes later played Davis Cup tennis himself.

Bill introduced paddle (we called it padder tennis) tennis to New Zealand, and had courts painted on the tar seal immediately alongside the school. Wonderful game.

I became a prefect at the school, and when I left to go to Wellington College, Bill gave us a party treat of strawberries and icing sugar.

I purchased the 1953 Who's Who in NZ, with Bill's entry, and still own and treasure the book

Bill and his wife lived between Northland and Kelburn, just through the Karori tunnel.

I was shocked to hear of his death, and I still mourn him.

He had more influence on my life than anybody else.

I will never forget William John Melody

John Goodman, Berry, NSW, Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment